More merchant vessel looking for improvements with VICUS during 2015
This year VICUSdt keep working on many different projects with several European shipowners for improving the performance of their container and multipurpose cargo vessels.
These projects typically include an analysis of the existing ship, sea trials, performance analysis with CFD and support for retrofitting engineering.
Computational Fluid Dynamics is the most powerful tool available nowadays for ship optimization, therefore, it was used for most of the hydrodynamic related work in those projects. CFD allows designers to analyze and improve the performance of ships, propellers and rudders in such a way that the flow around them can be modelled and optimized in a fraction of the time and cost it would take in the past. Also the limits for the optimization are stressed further, increasing dramatically the performance of modern vessels compared to older ships only ten years old.
Some of the most common design and analysis work carried out for these ships are:
- Data analysis and sea trials. Evaluating huge amounts of data to filter valuable information.
- Bulbous bow redesign. Optimization of the geometry for current speed and draft operational profile.
- Appendage alignment. Adjusting the geometry to the current trim.
- FP propeller redesign. Design tailored for the new speed and power request.
- CP propeller blade redesign. Design and supply of CP blades adapted to the new power requirements.
- Design of “ESD” Energy saving devices. Mainly pre ducts and twisted rudders with bulb.
- Variable speed generator performance assessment. With the variable speed shaft generator the propulsion efficiency is improved compared to constant speed operation.
- Retrofitting engineering including hull fairing and class approval of certain drawings.
Most of our customers are based in Holland and Germany but we are also working on projects in Dubai, Singapore, China and Mexico through our agent network. If you want to join our global team or partners do not hesitate to get in touch.
More information on the methodology and capabilities can be found at:
If you are interested on improving the performance of your fleet contact us at energy(at)vicusdt.ouga.es