Ship propulsion engineering
Ship performance analysis
The goal of energy audits is to identify and analyze how energy is generated and used in the ship to make suggestions for improvements that reduce fuel consumption. Through an energy audit it is possible to quantify exactly the consumption profile of the vessel and the potential for improvement in each field.
Improve your ship efficiency
The energy balance in a typical ship normally involves a propulsion engine as a primary consumer and secondary consumer, auxiliary groups, as being multiple combinations of drive solutions from the power plant and ancillary equipment (shaft generators, hydraulics, etc.). While the primary consumer is the engine of the ship, we must not forget that this engine uses energy in powering propeller, which in turn, must overcome the resistance of the hull and interact with it and its appendages (nozzle, rudder, etc.). That is why it is essential to focus the audit not only as a collection of data but a detailed analysis which also assess the hydrodynamics of the ship. There are small low-cost actions (such as new designs of bulbs, keels, stern flaps, flaps, nozzles, rudders, etc.) that improve the performance of the vessels significantly. Small investments can lead to big savings over the medium term. There is also command and control technology that can improve the generation and usage of electric power onboard.
There are several possibilities for data collection on board, which includes records of power consumption, speed, usage profile of the ship, etc.
- Installing permanent or temporary data acquisition.
- Measurement onboard by VICUSdt staff, in several conditions.
- Data collection by the crew.
Advantages for ship owner
- Immediate Fuel Savings derived from knowledge of consumption profile detecting inefficient work conditions and avoiding malpractice.
- Identification of possible engine problems (excessive consumption, poor combustion, etc.).
- Characterization of the entire ship hydrodynamics (main energy consumer)
EEDI and EEOI verification
Our team of experienced naval architects can carry out EEDI and EEOI assessment and verification. We can take care of all the steps necessary to achieve the required EEDI from concept stage to sea trials. Also ask us for help on existing vessels, the combination of naval architecture capabilities, hydrodynamics experts and sea trial “hands-on” experience is the perfect approach for a successful project.
“As independent experts we can cooperate with flag state authorities and classification societies”
EEXI compliance services
Calculation of the actual EEXI (Energy Efficiency Existing Ship Index), development and analysis of technical solutions to improve the EEXI for the current ship design (bulbous bow retrofit, Energy saving devices, propeller optimization, etc). Below our four approaches to study the project and providing the best options always looking for the improvement of the vessel.
- Basic EEXIcalculation
- EEXI analysis by CFD
- Express analysis for EEXI improvement
- Development of solutions and implementation
This approach is especially useful during the ship concept development stage or for evaluation of new technologies, to assess accurately the best combination of solutions based on the real ship operational profile.
As a result of this type of analysis you can obtain the following results:
- Total fuel / energy consumption per machine over a certain period.
- Average and peak efficiency of different ship systems.
- Transport efficiency and EEDI analysis.
- Ship performance in different operational scenarios and different technologies.